Thursday, February 8, 2007

I have no clue why....(sentimental moment...be forewarned)


...as I was in bed last night and couldn't sleep, an image from the past popped into my head. It happened when I was in first or second grade about the time when the actor became president. I remember my mom had just bought me this beautiful kite. She had regaled me with stories from her youth about making kites and flying them in the breeze. Believe it or not, there were even stories about these kite battles that took place where two kites would dog fight in the air until the life line was severed and the winner went home with two kites. My kite was beautiful. It wasn't like the good ole' Ben Franklin stick a key on it and I'm going to get cooked style. I was Asian and that meant it had to resemble a dragon. And boy did it! It had a tail that seemed to stretch 100 ships long and it flew higher than birds could fly.


Anyhow, one day I'm out flying my kite by myself. I was like 2 ft tall (maybe less) and flying a 100 ft kite. The wind was coming out of the hills like a hurricane and I didn't have school the next day. Life was good. All of the sudden, I tripped and lost handle on the spool of line. I panicked and jumped to my feet looking for it. The kite was pulling it away from me....and fast...So fast, in fact, that by the time I was able to reach the spool, it was stuck in a short tree on the highest branch. Now you're thinking...no biggie, just climb the mother fucker and get your kite back. You're Vietnamese! Tree climbing should be easy for you considering you've had all that practice stealing your neighbors fruits from their trees....Shit Foolio! That's what I was thinking to myself. But as I jumped and jumped for the lowest branch, I began to realize the folly of my Asian blood....I'M TOO DAMN SHORT to reach the lowest branch. So I did what any kid would do in that situation. I started cryin' my eyes out like a baby who just had their candy taken from them.


I didn't know how long I was there but eventually a Chinese man walking his dog walked past me. (you're wondering how I knew he was Chinese...are not all kids taught to fear the boogie man? but I digress) I thought he was going to help. I mean, who wouldn't help a little kid in a dire situation like that right? WRONG. Fucker kept walking. Right underneath the tree too. Now, this isn't like one of those giant redwood trees. It couldn't have been more than 15ft high...but still ....he kept walking. I swore at that very moment I'd never eat chow mein again...Bastard! So I started cryin' some more. Some time later, this white lady jogger comes up to me and says what's wrong? I pointed to my kite (which was still flyin' in the air). She then jumped on to the lowest branch and to the next and to the next until she was at the spool of line. This was the first time I had seen an adult climb a tree and let me tell you...it ain't a pretty sight..... She looked like she was going to fall and break something...or worst...lose my kite. Anyhow, she got hold of the line, came back down and handed me the spool. And as she handed me the spool, i noticed that her hands were bleeding all over the place. Nothing serious but just lots and lots of small cuts from climbing the tree. She smiled at me and was on her way.


Now this may sound stupid...but at that point...it was the nicest thing someone has ever done for me....someone I didn't even know....a stranger... And I think it left an impression on me.....that Chinese people are bad and that White people can be good. I just wanted to write this to put it down somewhere that there was a woman who helped a little boy and more than 20 years later....I still remember you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

almost brings me to tears

The Nghiemesis said...

Cool story man. Props to that lady who helped a kid out.

Hits Beeyotch